(770) 703-6008
Toll Free:
(800) 393-8595

What Is Pain and Suffering Compensation and Should I Include it In My Car Accident Claim?

Posted on : March 17, 2020

Car Accident Damages


Car accident damages are generally split into two different categories — economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages cover medical bills, lost wages, and other calculable expenses. Non-economic damages cover emotional and physical pain. Should you add it to your car accident lawsuit? Here’s what you need to know. 

The Fundamentals of Car Accident Damages 


The foundation of a car accident lawsuit is built on economic damages or the quantifiable damages associated with the incident. These are the easiest to calculate because you can usually obtain a printed bill for each damage. This includes but isn’t limited to medical expenses, lost wages from not being able to earn a living during the healing period, and vehicle repair expenses. Provide itemized statements for these expenses to your attorney to have them added to your settlement request. 

Adding Pain and Suffering Damages  


If you were the victim of a car crash caused by the negligence of a careless driver, you will likely be able to obtain some form of pain and suffering compensation. How much that is, however, depends largely on how significant your injuries were and how easy or difficult it was for you to return to daily activities and gainful employment. The more severe your injuries and the more difficulty faced when completing daily tasks, the higher your settlement offer should be.

How Is Pain and Suffering Evaluated for Compensation?


Non-economic damages like pain and suffering are more complicated and difficult to calculate, unlike an itemized hospital bill or calculable lost wages. Your personal injury lawyer may use a multiplier to increase the number of your economic damages according to the severity of your injuries, or they may suggest assigning a dollar value to every 24-hour period you spent with physical or emotional pain. Even so, this figure is largely open to interpretation and can’t easily be calculated. Discuss with your personal injury lawyer what evidence would make your case for fair compensation stronger. 

Should You Contact a Car Accident Attorney?


Don’t wait after being involved in a motor vehicle collision to reach out for legal help from an experienced car accident attorney. You may be eligible to file a claim for multiple types of compensation to cover your physical expenses like vehicle damage and medical bills, as well as non-economic damages like pain and suffering. Call Southside Injury Law today for more information or to set up a consultation toll-free at (800) 393-8595. 

The comments are closed.